Outside-in Due Diligence
Outside-in due diligence audits are pragmatic assessments carried out from the outside in. They focus on identifying unleveraged potential in digital marketing, security, UX, and CRO.
Outside-in due diligence audits assess one or several companies from the outside. They are ideal for competitive bids with limited or no access to a target and enable sophisticated gap analyses and competitor benchmarking.
Here we focus on identifying potential that is left idle – vis-à-vis market and industry best practices and, where relevant, competition.
We follow a proprietary framework shaped by years of experience.
Outside-in audits focus on everything visible from the outside, including (but not limited to) the following:
- Domain performance, including traffic volume, traffic sources, and backlink healthiness
- On-site and off-site search engine optimization (SEO), including search performance, content, and backlinks
- Technical SEO, including crawlability, site structure, and site performance
- Mobile capabilities, including mobile-first indexing readiness and mobile apps (optional)
- Funnel analysis vis-à-vis best practices
- Conversion rate optimization (CRO)
- Checkout optimization
- Mobile experience
- Best practices
Other aspects considered within an outside-in audit are security, the hiring pipeline, the employer, and branding.
Outside-in due diligence is favored by private equity clients that focus on buyouts of public companies and hedge funds that pursue “soft activism.”
Who We Are
Code & Co. is an independent advisory firm that specializes in advising funds in the global alternative investment industry. Code & Co. offers modern and holistic technology and product due diligence across the entire investment life cycle – from outside-in audits and confirmatory due diligence to portfolio audits, exit preparation, and vendor due diligence.